Thursday 26 November 2009

Channa Dal

I made this quick and easy dal with the pressure cooker this evening. Chana dal is my favourite dal of all. It's so comforting to eat.. although, I have to admit it probably wasn't the best choice of dinner given it's so warm in Sydney at the moment!

As I've mentioned in a previous dal post, there are sooo many dals (legumes) to choose from. But what is chana dal? Chana dal is produced by removing the outer layer of black chickpeas and then splitting the kernel. Of course, don't do this yourself :) You'll be able to buy chana dal in any indian food shop. Nutrition wise, chana dal is really good for you. It has a low glycemic index and is high in fibre, protein and zinc - hurrah!

Beloved pressure cooker

Cooked dal-slightly soft but holding its form

The dal after the fried garlic and spices have been added

The finishing touch - fresh coriander & lemon


You can find the recipe here. I found this recipe months ago and have been using it almost every week since then! However.. I don't use ghee in my dals, I used 1 tbsp canola oil instead. I also like a good squeeze of lemon to give it a nice lift :)

7 comments:

  1. This looks quite easy, and I definitely don't do enough Indian cooking. There is the small issue of not having a pressure-cooker though... =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I've never really had channa dal before...but if you say it's your favorite dish, now I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe how easy it is to make this channa dal. Got to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suggest good information in this message, click here.
    francevuedutrain.net
    gp32us.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, really appreciate you for this awesome blog you have covered all about chana dal online for Home in this article keep it up the good work. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails